Texting and driving is a growing epidemic across the country, including in the Passaic County area. Studies have shown that drivers who text while behind the wheel display the same amount of inhibition as drunk drivers. Texting and driving is one of the fastest growing causes of car accidents and results in senseless stress, pain and sometimes death. If you have suffered from an accident that was not your fault, you may be entitled to financial compensation.
Why Is Texting While Driving So Dangerous?
Why is texting behind the wheel so dangerous? When a driver gets behind the wheel of a car and makes the decision to text, he or she endangers him or herself and other motorists. Some of the reasons texting is so dangerous include the following:
- Drivers who text are distracted from what is happening on the road.
- Texting while driving puts drivers at an accident risk that is 23 times higher than those who do not text and drive.
- Many of the drivers who text and drive are young, usually 18 to 20 years old.
- Studies have shown that there is a direct link between texting and driving and fatal car accidents.
- Texting and driving puts drivers and passengers at risk in ways that are similar to those associated with drunk driving.
Texting while driving is an act of negligence and is also similar to speeding and reckless driving. Therefore, victims of this type of accident may receive compensation for their injuries in a personal injury claim. If you are grieving the loss of a loved one from a texting while driving accident or if you are dealing with the physical consequences of your own personal injuries, you could benefit from the services of a Passaic County car accident lawyer.
What Can You Do If You Are A Victim?
It is never easy to decide what to do after you experience an accident. There are often many things to consider, from insurance paperwork to medical forms, and you can become quickly overwhelmed. One of the many benefits to having an attorney working on your behalf is that he or she will help you handle all of the aspects of the post-accident process. Some of the things that a car accident lawyer will do for you and your family include:
- Gather evidence to determine if you were a victim of extenuating circumstances, such as texting and driving
- Speak with insurance companies on your behalf if your claim has been denied or if you have not received an adequate amount
- Help you determine an appropriate amount of compensation to seek based on the expenses that you have incurred
- Guide you through every aspect of the personal injury or wrongful death process